Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Signs, Butterflies, A Gift of Love




Have you ever noticed signs.

Really, signs are everywhere. They surround us. We have only to open our eyes to see them.

Recently I walked Main Street, snapping photographs of the many different signs I passed along my way when suddenly, a Monarch butterfly, seemingly from out of nowhere, fluttered into my face. That butterfly startled me and for one long city block, that butterfly fluttered along side me.

I took it as a sign.

After Ed died, I was in my backyard when a Monarch butterfly appeared, seemingly from nowhere. I remember it fluttered my face, lit in the palm of my open hand, and stayed there, resting for the longest time. I couldn't help thinking then, as I thought now, it was my beloved Ed paying a visit.

I'm sharing photographs of signs today and a few quotations on signs. I hope they inspire you to pick up your pen and write something.

Here they are:


"I remind myself that not everything is a sign, that some things simply are what they appear to be and should not be analyzed, deconstructed, or forced to bear the burden of metaphor, symbol, omen, or portent." --Diane Schoemperlen, Our Lady of the Lost and Found.



"Beyond the edge of the world there's a space where emptiness and substance neatly overlap, where past and future form a continuous, endless loop. And, hovering about, there are signs no one has ever read, chords no one has ever heard."--Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore.


"When you  know that something's going to happen, you'll start trying to see signs of it approach in just about everything. Always try to remember that most of the things that happen in this world aren't signs. They happen because they happen, and their only real significance lies in normal cause and effect. You'll drive yourself crazy if you start trying to pry the meaning out of every gust of wind or rain squall. I'm not denying that there might actually be a few signs that you won't want to miss. Knowing the difference is the tricky part." --David Eddings, Belgarath the Sorcerer.




"If, instead, you find yourself pitying someone who consistently hurts you or other people, and who actively campaigns for your sympathy, the chances are close to 100 percent that you are dealing with a sociopath." --Martha Stout, The Sociopath Next Door.





"A soul is always looking for ways to make contact with the living. A butterfly is the easiest form for a soul to slip into. The important thing is to keep an open mind."--Linda Della Donna, A Gift of Love.


See you in print,


Linda Della Donna
Come journal with me;
your book is yet to be.

The E,
My Mighty Muse,
Faithful Friend,
Constant Companion,
and Me.

No comments: