Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

BookExpo2017, Jacob Javits, Day 1

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go, instead, where there
is no path
And leave a trail.

Today marked the official opening of BookExpo2017 held at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. Whether you are a seasoned, or first-time attendee, I have a few photographs and a few tips about the event:

Day 1 - Tuesday - 4/31/2017
So Many Books--So Little Time

Empty suitcase on wheels.

If you're headed to BookExpo, be a good scout--Be prepared. 

At BookExpo, there are books--Books to buy, books to get autographed, books to take for free, and free handouts from book vendors. Books are heavy and before you know it, by the end of the day, you may find yourself lugging ten, twelve, maybe two dozen books stowed in a sack on your back, in addition to whatever else you brought from home. This will put a strain on your back and sap your energy. And it may make you tired before your day is through.

The Coat Check Room--Where all those empty bags go.

Tip: Bring an empty suitcase. For a small fee of $3, you can check that empty suitcase at the Coat Check Room and return to fill it with your books. Later, you can wheel it out. Of course you can always box up your books and have them Fed Exed to your home address. For a fee, of course.

This is the place that will box up your books and ship them to your home.
For a fee, of course.

Comfortable thick-soled shoes and cotton socks.

The Javits Center is a huge pavilion. It has several floors. There are stairs, escalators, and long concrete walkways. Today I clocked more than 6 miles walking the show. There is nothing worse than sore feet, or worse, hobbling on one foot because of a painful blister on the other. 

Tip: Leave the high heels home. Opt instead for a comfortable pair of thick-soled shoes, or sneakers. Don't forget to add a pair of thick thirsty cotton socks to your foot wardrobe. They will absorb perspiration and keep your feet dry.


BookExpo2017 is a non-bullying,
no harrasment venue.

Tip: Just a reminder: Be kind. Or, you will be asked to leave.


Wondering what to wear? Whatever you want. Last time I checked, this is America. It is the year 2017. 

One more thing: Pack a snack, bottled water, can of soda, or thermos of tea or coffee. Of course there are plenty of vendors selling food in the Food Court, but as every writer knows, saving a dollar or two on something you can easily bring from home, gives you extra money to buy that special book from your favorite author.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"Come journal with me;
your book is yet to be."


The Back Story:

This is the 7:53 a.m. MetroNorth to Grand Central that I caught today.
To save money, I walked the 18 blocks from my home to the train station.

Grand Central Station is my favorite place in the world.
Here it is at eight-something in the morning. I'm half-asleep,
got a screaming sore throat, but I'm getting to Jacob Javits by 9 a.m., no matter what.


I'm onboard the No. 7 train to 34th and Hudson Yard.
I snapped a photo of the woman sitting opposite me.
I love her comfortable shoes.

It is a gray day. But soon as I exit the hole in the ground from Grand Central Station,
I spy Jacob Javits Center and there is sunshine, if only in my mind's eye.

I have arrived. And I hustle to the line for registration.



I've got my ticket. It's time to stop for a cup of tea and honey.
Oh my aching throat.

While I take time to rest and sip hot tea, I write.
Hey, that's what we do.


 I take time to recharge my cell phone battery.
There's even a station for that.

I meet a pigeon. I feed him, too.

I visit my book.

Surprise. It's time to go home. When I exit, I am greeted by warm sunshine. 

The views are warm and awesome. 

What is it about concrete that makes me glad all over?
I love NY.

It's back to the No. 7 train...

...And back to Grand Central.
In a little while, I am home--Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home.






The E









No comments: