Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Monday, March 6, 2017

Manhattan Monday, A Sunday, Grand Central Station, I Love Concrete

Sunday arrived cold as a witch's you-know-what. I didn't care.

I like the cold, and more, I liked the idea that because of the cold weather, I'd be only one venturing out to spend time in it.

I bundled in warm coat, scarf and boots; I donned a pair of my warmest gloves. Then I headed out the door. I wanted to catch MetroNorth, the express train to Grand Central Station.

The wind was blowing hard. There was no one on the platform. I waited for the train alone.


Waiting for the Express to GCS.
I was the only one here.


I arrived Grand Central Station to sunshine splashing through the windows. It spilled down onto the floor casting long shadows. There were no harried businessmen and busy business women rushing about to get to their jobs. There were protestors and I watched as they stood like mannequins, side by side, holding their protestor signs.


I raised my camera and the protestors posed proudly for photographs.


I stopped at The Big Clock. It's where everyone meetsup. And I snapped another photo.


I laid down on the granite floor ...


... and I snapped a photo of the ceiling. Or, two.


I walked 42nd Street. To Bryant Park. The air was frosty and the ice skating rink was an avenue of ice skaters.


There were tables and chairs surrounding the skating rink. I pulled up a seat and sat. I sipped a cup of hot chocolate. For awhile I breathed in and breathed out enjoying the smiling faces on happy skaters. 


After a time, when I couldn't feel my toes or the tip of my nose on my face, I headed to Hell's Kitchen and Five Napkin Burger over on Ninth Avenue to warm up.

The hostess showed me to a table with window view. The waitress took my order--Bacon, cheese burger, medium well, with side of sweet potato fries--I liked the service, it was excellent. I especially liked Robert the bar tender. Robert charged my cell phone while I dined. Yes, I am grateful.

When I was done eating, I walked the sunny sidewalks studying tall buildings. I love concrete.






Before I knew it, it was time to head home. I was back to 42nd Street, Grand Central Station and the rush of fast feet racing to catch a train.




I had time for one last photo of the ceiling. Yes, I laid down on the floor to snap it. And I was off. To catch my train home.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Come journal with me;
your book is yet to be.


Writing Tip: Blocked? Think you got no ideas? Stop that. Ideas are everywhere. You have only to pick up your pen and write. 

Writing Quote: "Writing about a writer's block is better than not writing at all." --Charles Bukowski



Loyal Friend,
Mighty Muse
The E


No comments: