Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Westchester Wednesday, Road Trip, My Special Snowplace




Last week I went to StopN'Shop to see all the people buy up bread, milk, eggs and toilet paper because weatherman said the S word--Snow. I thought about writing a BookOrBust blog post about the event, complete with photographs. But after awhile, I became hugely bored watching Shoppers A, B, C and D argue with Shoppers E, F, G and H about who was next in line and fighting feelings of claustrophobia as the crowd of people-pushing carriages grew thick, thicker, thickest. It was then I decided if snow was coming, I rather be someplace else--Someplace where snow falling to the ground was a signal of celebration, not a trigger of sadness, stress and worry. Before I knew it, I had a booked a hotel room at a distant destination, my belongings , along with skis, boots and poles were stowed in Big Blue, Big Blue is my car, and with E, my mighty muse, pouched neatly at my side, headed north. Road Trip!


Crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge

Big Blue was gassed, GPS was set, and before I knew it, E and me were on our way.


Peace on Earth is a stretch of empty highway. Who knew?

There was zero traffic on the road. I figure everybody was at the stores buying up all the bread, milk, eggs and toilet paper.


Serenity now.

The Adirondack Northway was empty. I was the only car on the road. I gripped the steering wheel and delighted in the peace and quiet. I sang out loud to myself and E, I didn't know the words to songs, I sang out of tune, but it didn't matter because there was nobody to complain. I began to count my blessings--The company of a devoted sleepy dog at my side; a reliable machine--Big Blue--to take me to a pleasant place; good health, and so much more. My happy list grew with each roll of the wheel.


My Home Away From Home

It was five hours later when I arrived my hotel. Room 136 key in hand, it was time to unload Big Blue and settle in for a long winter's extended weekend of writing fun, leisure, and relaxation.


Carpe' Diem!

Morning arrived. And the sound of sun breaking clouds was my welcome alarm clock. Before I knew it, I was up, showered, dressed and headed out the door, my mighty muse tucked at my back.


The View

It was a white view from my mountain view. In the distance I could see the back of Whiteface and Mt. Marcy. Before me was Lake Placid, a snow-covered lake. It lay silent in a blanket of white while a team of dogs pulled a sled.


After a time, I headed out. There was snow. Everywhere. The world was clean and white. The sky was clear and bright. Nobody seemed one bit concerned. Life was pure and simple.

 I stopped for a cup of coffee.
No complaints here.


I took time to read about, what else? Snow!
No complaints here.


Main Street was quiet.
No complaints here.


There were a school of painted wooden bears set outside a store front. The tempereature was six degrees. The bears didn't seem to mind at all.

It was time to head to the mountain for skiing, ski watching, and apres skiing.




The lifts were just getting started when we arrived. Skiers were lining up for a lift to the top of the mountain. At the base of the mountain, skiers lined up to board the gondola. And the air was filled with sounds of happy voices.



Natural High

Who says snow isn't a tonic?




For those skiers wary of the great white outdoors, there is always the Mahogany run...*the bar* ... And the great white views from mountain-sized windows.







That night more snow fell...

... And fell
... And fell
... And fell
 ... And fell
 ... And fell
 ... And fell
... And fell.

And guess what? I didn't hear one complaint. I didn't see anyone race to a grocery store for bread, milk, eggs, or toilet paper. 


When morning arrived, when it was time for me to pack up and head back to that place I call home, I hated to leave. But I did. Then I wrote myself a reminder to stop along the way to pick up bread, milk, eggs and toilet paper. 


Homeward Bound

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"Come journal with me;
your book is yet to be."















No comments: