Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, October 21, 2016

Westchester Wednesday, Farmer's Market, White Plains, NY

 A city, is a city, is a city. -- Ed Sclier




I love White Plains, NY and the memories it holds for me growing up two towns away.

I remember Main Street when it was just a row of brick and mortar buildings not one more than four stories high.

I remember taking the bus from Elmsford to see a movie at RKO Keith's or Lowe's. Back then, the bus cost twenty-five cents, one way. I don't remember what the movie cost, but I do remember if I had one dollar I was good to go. Okay, I didn't get a pop corn or a souvenir plastic Cinderella slipper, but I got to sit through a double feature and hang out in the swanky Ladies' room and fancy parlor.

I remember the Court House where Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio got married. My mind's eye can still see them standing on the front steps posing for photographers.

I remember steel ruts in the road for trolley cars before they repaved the road.

I remember Vic Tanney's, the original gym, and Macy's department store. In 1966, Vic Tanney's was where you toned your muscles and Macy's was the place to purchase a mohair sweater and remarkably, I still have mine.

Recently I visited the White Plains Farmer's Market held each Wednesday on Court Street. I got to snap a few photos. As I snapped my photos, I couldn't help but remember back to another time.

Today I share. I hope you enjoy viewing my photographs as much as I enjoyed snapping them.



Golden flowers in a concrete pot.
Corner of Main and Court Streets. 

Once upon a time there were a row of small stores in this location.
Those stores were torn down through Urban Renewal and replaced with a park.

RKO Keith's is gone, as is Lowe's Movie Theaters. In place of RKO Keith's is an
luxury apartment building and restaurant BLK.



Looking down Main Street towards Broadway,
that building directly ahead on the corner
once upon a time was R. H. Macy's 


Still Main Street, but all the familiar
buildings are gone. Urban renewal stepped in and changed
the landscape forever.
Note: That brown building on the left was once the home of
"The Reporter Dispatch."

This is the view looking down Main Street toward
the Train Station.
All the apartment buildings that once stood there are gone,
as is Farva's Italian Pastry Shop. Remember that one? And
the movie theater and the automobile center.

Remember the WP Police Department Headquarters?
Well, that's gone. A street was created and The Ritz Carlton hotel was built near the space.

Moving right along, meet Mr. Mozzarella Man. He's the man
who makes mozzarella cheese and sells it at the Farmer's Market held
each Wednesday.

The Farmer's Market takes up one entire block.
All of Court Street is blocked off for vendors.

Vendors from the tri-state area arrive every Wednesday
during the summer until early Fall to sell their fresh produce.

Apple rows as far as the eye can see.

And tomatoes. I never tire of seeing fresh
tomatoes. I wonder why.

And peppers. Yum.

The park is a refreshing place to sit and nosh
a fresh baked cruller, sip a vente' hot cocoa,
people watch and remember when none of this was here.




See you in print,

Linda Della Donna



Writing Quote: "The best way to sound like you know what you're talking about is to know what you're talking about." --Anonymous

Writing Tip: Write. Just do it.










4 comments:

Jill Robbins said...

And I fondly remember Alexander's!

Jill Robbins said...

And I remember Alexander's!

Linda Della Donna said...

I do, too. I worked their part time as a sales girl. One day Sydney Poitier was my customer.

Linda Della Donna said...

I do, too. I worked their part time as a sales girl. One day Sydney Poitier was my customer.