Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Books, Love 'em, Read 'em, Favorite Quotations, Food for Thought




Books.

I read them.

I write them.

I collect favorite quotations about them.

Today I share quotations about them.

I hope you enjoy reading them. And I hope they leave you inspired to write like the wind.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna


A book must be an axe for the frozen sea inside of us. --Franz Kafka

All that mankind has done, thought or been: it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books. --Thomas Carlyle

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.  --Francis Bacon

A good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured upon purpose to a life beyond life.  --John Milton

Books are standing counselors and preachers, always at hand, but disinterested; having this advantage over oral instructors, that they're ready to repeat their lesson as often as we please. --Talbot Wilson Chambers

I suggest that the only books that influence us are those for which we are ready, and which have gone a little farther down our particular path than we have yet gone ourselves. --E. M. Forster

I have somewhere seen it observed that we should make the same use of a book that the bee does of a flower; she steals sweets from it, but does not injure it. --Caleb C. Colton

The great books exist, not to hem us in, but to help us break our bonds. --Albert Gue'rar

When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes. --Erasmus

When I am reading a book, whether wise or silly, it seems to be alive and talking to me. --Anton Chekhov

No comments: