Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

BookExpoAmerica: Hiaasen, Smart, Jacob Javits Conference Center, and A Gift of Love

So many books. So little time.



Dear Reader,

Last week I attended BookExpoAmerica held at the Jacob K. Javits Conference Center in Manhattan. If you happened to be there, you might have noticed me. I was the overwhelmed dark-haired lady toting a bookbag overflowing with books walking the miles of aisles wearing a yellow Exhibitor badge, compliments of Archway Publishing, publisher of my book, A Gift of Love.

BookExpoAmerica is the annual book event where librarians, editors, publishers, readers, and authors from all over the world meetup to market and celebrate books and all the hard work that goes into the writing of a book.

There were more than 750 vendors. And there were celebrities--Carl Hiaasen, Martin Smart, and Amy Pohler, to name a few. I waited on a slow moving line one hour for an advanced reader's copy of "Skink No Surrender," by Carl Hiaasen and to shake that famous author's hand. I also got his autograph.

I waited on another line more than an hour to have breakfast with Martin Short, and to hear him speak.

This was my first BEA event. I had been to the Javits Center numerous times in my past, thanks to my late husband, Ed Sclier, who was an EVP for Goffa International, manufacturer of plush toys. Along with my late husband, I had worked the annual housewares show held there. So, I kind of knew what to expect. I had a feel for the lay of the land, the crowds that walk a show, and the many hours of hard work that go into making it happen.

But...

Nothing could prepare me for BookExpoAmerica 2014. Honest. It was fabulous. I wish every writer to own the experience of just one BEA event. As for my feelings seeing my book, A Gift of Love, posed on a shelf in the Archway Publishers booth, well, it left this writer speechless. And that's saying a lot.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."

Three BEA Tips:

If you plan on attending BookExpoAmerica 2015, wear comfortable shoes. I suggest sneakers.
Bring a camera. Don't worry about a tote bag, along with free books, tote bags to carry all your free books are handed out free, also.

Bring a suitcase, one that rolls. Wheel it in, check it at the front door. As you make your way through the many aisles collecting autographs and FREE books, remember to take a break to empty your tote bag into your checked bag. Think Happy Halloween, making a candy dumpy and going back out for more.

Can't bring a suitcase, there is an area designated for FED EX in the back of the Javits Center. Grab an empty box, fill it, and when you're done, fill out the form and bring it to the cashier. They arrange to ship your books to your door--for a price, of course.

Hotel? Lodging? BEA supplies a list of hotels at GREAT rates.

Need a ride to the Center? Not to worry. The BEA runs a shuttle to and back to your hotel.




Note to Keith Ogorek, Senior Vice President of Marketing, Author Solutions: Thank you isn't enough for your kind words and sage advice. It was a pleasure meeting you. I look forward to hearing from you, again.

To Sandy Powell: Thank you for being so nice and for your warm welcome.

Yes, I am grateful.

BookExpoAmerica 2014

Yes sir, that's my baby. *fourth shelf, first book*

Archway Publishers private cocktail party for authors only.
L-R: Sandy Powell, Keith Ogorek


No comments: