Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, May 9, 2014

Not For Writers Only: Quotes on Craft of Writing, Mail, and Happy Mother's Day, Mom




I've been busy. Very busy. It's the reason I haven't written bookorbust.

Every day I get mail. Lots of mail. It's the reason I write bookorbust.

Today I'm sharing quotations on the craft of writing and a letter I got in the mail. 

Be well. Stay safe. Keep cute.
See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of

P.S. On this Mother's Day weekend, I'm taking time to say what I can't say anymore and wish I could: Happy Mother's Day, Mom!




"Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing to say?"--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

"Life is lived in short stories; we live in moments."--Unknown

"The written word is weak. Many people prefer life to it.
Life gets your blood going, and it smells good.
Writing is mere writing, literature is mere.
It appeals only to the subtlest senses--the imagination's
vision and the imagination's hearing--and the
moral sense, and the intellect. This writing that you do,
that so thrills you, that so rocks and exhilarates you,
as if you were dancing next to the band,
is barely audible to anyone else. The reader's ear must
adjust down from loud life to the subtle, imaginary
sounds of the written word. An ordinary reader
picking up a book can't hear a thing;
it will take half an hour to pick up the writing's
modifications, its ups and downs and louds and softs."--Annie Dillard

"Traveling and writing are the same thing."--Lerena Villalonga

"The more books we read, the sooner we perceive that the only function of a writer is to produce a masterpiece. No other task is of any consequence."--Cyril Connolly

"The writer must believe that what he is doing is the most important thing in the world. And he must hold to this illusion even when he knows it is not true."--John Steinbeck

"The natural writer hopes to communicate--to present somebody else his interpretation of life."--Booth Tarkington

"Literature is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to people who have none."--Jules Renard


My Mail bag Runneth Over:

This is a letter I received, just last night. It is from a woman I haven't seen since 1963. A C was an upper classmate. She remembered me. I am honored. I am blessed. I am grateful.


Hi Linda.
It's A C
do U remember me from Elmsford. I graduated in 1963.
Want to tell U I really enjoyed reading UR
wonderful book that I read twice on my Kindle.
I can relate to it as I lost my Frank in 2005 of Bladder cancer.
Twelve years before that he beat Prostate cancer.
I laughed when it took UR huby 2 years to tell U he didn't like cheese ravioli or chocolate, as it took me 20 years to find out Frank didn't like MEATLOAF!!! LOL LOL
CONGRATULATIONS ON A JOB WELL DONE
A C

Thank you, AC, for being my friend.

1 comment:

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

Thank you, as always, for the inspiration here, Linda. Loved the quotes and do need to order your book as soon as I can.
Much love to you!