Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Metaphors and Analagies: Food For Thought


Sometimes the things in life that we love the most can hurt us the worst.


I like chocolate. No, I love chocolate. I once ate a box of chocolate covered cherries for dinner. Hey, when you're single and living life on your own, you do some strange things. Eating that box of chocolates was my way of celebrating my new found freedom. Needless to say, I got sick. Next morning I awakened with the worst thumb-in-the-eye pain in my head I ever had. Yes. I got a migraine headache from eating all those sweet confections.

Did I learn my lesson? No. I continued to eat chocolate every chance I got. And every time I ate it, I got sick with a severe migraine.

I am sure by now dear reader you are saying you should have known better, serves you rightwhat's wrong with your thinking? 

And dear reader you are 100% correct.

Though I realized I would awaken with a pain in my head, I continued to scarf down chocolate every chance I got.

Did I question my thinking? Sure I did. But at the time, I wanted that chocolate. I needed that chocolate. All I could think was I must have that chocolate.

As for awakening with a migraine the following morning, yes, it served me right.

If you're wondering do I continue to dine on a box of chocolates for dinner knowing I will get sick--with a migraine?

Let's put it this way. When walking my local supermarket aisles, I steer clear of the candy aisle--I confess I love chocolate, chocolate covered cherries, and chocolate bars, and I always will--but I love my good health more and now I aim my cart at the produce section, opting to fill it with fresh fruit and vegetables, instead.

I never met a carrot stick that made me sick.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."


Writing Tip:

When writing a book, know your audience. Ask yourself who am I writing this book for. Write for that audience.


1 comment:

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

That's a painful consequence for sure, Linda. I, too, love chocolate, but can't eat anything sweet unless I've put some "regular" food in my stomach first. Otherwise, I can count on running for the Tums. :)
Blessings!