Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, May 2, 2014

Me2Me: Secrets, Success, Donald Sterling, and Shaquille O'Neal


LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling

Thank god we can't tell the future. We'd never get out of bed.
--Tracy Letts, August: Osage County


It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Outside a window at my secret writing place where I sit and write, the air is clean, clear, crisp, and bright. All around me, people dressed in business attire, chat. They sit at tables for two, eat low-fat yogurt smothered in fresh berries, and sip latte'. Their voices are loud, opinionated,  cursing, and they are clueless that I am listening to every word they say, because that's what writers do.

Shhh. It's a secret. 

Recently I received a letter from a reader asking what is the secret to your success. 

I have no idea how to respond to this question. Because I have no clue if I am a success. Or, if there is some secret to it. I believe to different people, success will have a different meaning.

I'm just saying.

But ...

if fulfilling a promise to my late husband to write a book and tell his story for the whole world to read is criteria for success, then I am a success;

if surviving death of a spouse, friends, family, relationships, overcoming homelessness and learning a new normal since burying the best friend a girl ever had is criteria for success, then I am a success;

if working at my writing passion and admitting out loud to anyone who will give an ear that I am a writer is criteria for success, then I am a success.

If blood sweat and tears, mostly tears, is requirement for success, then that is my secret.

The wonder of it all is I wouldn't have it any other way, and I am grateful.

That's it for today. Be well. Stay safe. Keep cute.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna

P.S. to Los Angeles Clippers' Owner Donald Sterling: Don't call Barbara Walters to do your interview. Call me, Linda Della Donna. I'd love to interview you.

Selfie: Shaquille O'Neal and Jahmel Binion
compliments of Instagram


Today's BookOrBust Honorable Mention goes to Jahmel Binion. Mr. Binion is a representative for anti-bullying. He is a class act. Binion suffers from a disorder known as ectodermal dysplasia. He posted his selfie in an Instagram and was taunted and bullied by retired basketball superstar Shaquille O'Neal. O'Neal's fans jumped in and followed their leader with more insults. Binion accepted O'Neal's telephone apology. Here's to Binion. Here's to your Facebook Hugs Don't Judge campaign, and to the dysplasion foundation. Call me. I'd love to do an interview.



No comments: