Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, May 16, 2014

BEA (BookExpo of America): Publishers, Editors, and Authors, Oh My!



It's not about what's over the rainbow.
It's more about the Yellow Brick Road, the people we meet
and the friends we make along the way.
*from A Gift of Love, by Linda Della Donna*

There is rain in the forecast today, but weatherman promises blue skies when the rain is done. That said, I have things to do. Week after next is the BEA--BookExpo of America, to be held at the Jacob Javits Center in NYC. I am invited guest of my publisher, Archway Publishing, division of Simon and Schuster. And I must prepare for the gala event.

I reserved a hotel. I plan on taking MetroNorth, that is the train from where I live, and arriving Grand Central Station. I plan to check into my hotel, unpack, jump on the queen-sized bed a few times in celebration, then shuttle over to Jacob Javits Convention Center. My plan is to have breakfast with Neil Patrick Harris, and a few other celebrities. I am invited. It is my dream come true, and fingers crossed, I hope it all comes together as planned.  

This is a brand new experience for me. Writing a book is a solitary event. After awhile, a writer spends so many long hours doing that isolation thing, she sometimes forgets how to be with people. This writer anyway. I will be stepping outside my comfort zone. I will be meeting publishers, editors, celebrity authors and so many other writers from all over the world, oh my. I worry: is my hair too long, my teeth too crooked, and will this dress I want to wear make my butt look fat. It is as if all the flying monkeys have landed. In my head.

So following advice I give my widow friends, it is time for this widow writer to take a deep breath, time for me to inhale, exhale, and take one baby step forward as I make my way forward in my new journey as author of A Gift of Love.

Stay tuned. I will report daily at BookOrBust. I will take photographs and post them here. I will name names, write specific details about the things I see and the many people I hope to meet.

Wish me luck.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."


Writing Tip:

In your writing journey, be kind to the writers you meet along the way. You never know when you'll meetup again.

2 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

That is absolutely fantastic. And, when you find the pot of gold at the end of that rainbow, remember the journey.
We all wish you the absolute best.

Linda Della Donna said...

:) Thank you so much. I'll be thinking of you as I go about accumulating all those free books those famous authors are handing out.