Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, March 20, 2014

L'Wren Scott, Alexander Hamilton High, Class of 1966, and A Gift of Love


"There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you're intrested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."--Tom Robbins, American Novelist, 1936


The following blog post is dedicated to Alexander Hamilton High, Class of 1966.

It was a treat sitting in front of you and in back of you; walking the hallowed halls to get to class with you; studying alongside you in study hall; marching in band and making music with you; cheering with you and at you, and just plain getting to know you. Thank you for the memories.

So in light of today being Throw Back Thursday, which in Facebook terms means looking back and sharing a memory, I write about all my friends at Hamilton High.

All together now: Hip Hip HOORAY!

It is the year 1966. I am 4' 11", 98 lbs. and I am a senior at Alexander Hamilton High in Elmsford, NY.

I drive a '61 Chevy Impala. But only when Dad gives me the keys and I got permission. It is the color of sky. The song Wooly Bully plays on the radio. I got the windows rolled down and the volume turned high as it can go.

Dad's car is a stick shift, three-speed off the column, and the price of a gallon of gasoline is nineteen cents. I buy a dollar's worth at the station with the one-armed man standing big as a mountain in front of it on Route 9A. In return, I get a glass, and a steak knife, and an attendant pumps the gas and washes the windshield and back window. I try hard not to ride the clutch. Or, burn rubber. When I drive away.

Newspapers tell a story about a police action in Viet Nam. They spell Viet Nam two words.

My kid brother plays the electric guitar. He and his friends practice at our house so often, the neighbors have taken up a petition to make him stop. They can't stand the noise.

I own a dog, a cat, and a pet rooster. The rooster is named Foghorn. I raised him from a baby chick. And he is grown into a white feathered red billed rooster. Every morning, soon as the sun comes up, Foghorn crows and crows and crows. Our neighbors hate Foghorn.

Between my brother and his friends playing their loud music and my rooster crowing its brains out, the police are a frequent visitor asking us to please stop the music and shut that damn rooster up.

Alexander Hamilton on South Goodwin is a great school.  It is a long walk from where I live on North Goodwin. Lorraine Sippel is my friend. She lives up the street from me. In bad weather, her mom drives us across the busy main street and up the steep hill. Lorraine lives next door to, and is friends with, Mrs. Bullis, my social studies and American history teacher. I remember I am afraid of Mrs. Bullis.

Looking back, it all seems so harmless and in the big picture it truly is. It is a time when our hearts are young and gay.

Here's photographs from our yearbook. I hope you enjoy viewing it as much as I enjoyed snapping them and re-living the memories.

Yes. This is my yearbook.
My dog didn't eat my homework.
He ate my yearbook.

Remember?

I don't remember who printed
my name at the bottom of the
left hand page.
Do you?

Mrs. Leone was my Algebra teacher.
She was homeroom teacher and girl's dean.
She is precious.
I have fondest memories of this woman.
She was so very kind to me.
Mr. D was the guy in the hall who caught me wearing culottes.
Yes. I got detention for a week because of it.
"See me at 2:20" was his mantra and I heard it often.
Years later, I saw him and we shared a good laugh.
 RIP Mr. G. 

Remember Coach?
How could we forget.
He was mayor of Tarrytown
and the greatest coach.
Everyone respected Coach.


the faculty.
I am very grateful for having had them in my life.
How about you?

Here's to AHHS secretarial staff.
They were the best.
I once played a telephone joke on Mrs. Caulkins.
Me and Sue C posed as the electric company.
We called and asked is your refrigerator running

My classmates. 

More classmates. 

We were a beautiful class.

I loved collecting autographs.

I am grateful to have had you in my life.

Remember Tony Pino?
Rex Rescicgno?
I do.
And with deep affection.
May they rest in peace.

I often wonder
what has happened to all the beautiful people on these pages..
...And these pages.
I remember Frank Suder.
He called me "Della Donna."
I don't know Frank knew I had a first name.


Good memories


That's Yours Truly in top middle corner on left page. 


Here's to the Under Classmen.
Bless them ALL!







I can almost hear the laughter.


I loved Drama Club.

Sue Canell was a best bud
and I remember once forging a pass
and handing it to Madame Gibbons
to get her out of French class.
What a hoot!
We walked the halls for half an hour
and giggled the whole time.




I loved being a member of the Representive,
the school paper.
I am grateful to Mr. G
for his act of lovingkindness for the invite.

This page needs no introduction.
Fondest of memories.
Remind me someday to tell you the story
how I got into band
and the day I met Mr. Stonehill.







I was voted Most Popular.
To this day, I have no clue why.
I was stunned and shy and embarrased,
I made my hair fall in front of my face.
I didn't want anyone to see me.



What a hoot!


There I am in the top on the left page.
That's me posed on a horse
in top right corner on page to your right.

Here I am again posing as "Lessie,"
in one of three-act plays.
I remember laughing out loud at the photographer.

Say good-night Linda. Good-night Linda.


See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of A Gift of Love


Condolence Wishes:

Re L'Wren Scott - Sincerest condolences to every fan, friend, family member, and most especially to lover, Mick Jagger. Heartfelt wishes for what I lovingly refer to as mourning joy all the days of your life.

Grief Tip: 

Carry a notebook. Name it. Slap a photo of your loved one on the cover, and write a memory. Write it every day.



Linda Della Donna is author of A Gift of Love. She is a freelance writer, photographer and public speaker. A Gift of Love is available at all bookseller stores. You are invited to LIKE A Gift of Love Facebook fan page.

No comments: