Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lupita Nyong'o, Matthew McConaughey, Highlights Unguided Writing Retreat, and A Gift of Love

The air is crisp and the view out a window from Uncle Jack's cabin, cabin #15, is a blanket of white. Like a hardy hangnail, winter lingers.

Last night I autographed a copy of my book, A Gift of Love, inscribing it Dear Joelle ... Joelle Dujardin is Highlights editor. Joelle remembered when I attended a Highlights workshop in 2004. I was honored. 

There were three of us for dinner, Joelle, myself, and fellow unworkshop participant, Jana Barberio. Served by master chef Joseph, we dined on smoked pork chops glazed in a medley of red onions with thin-sliced apples seasoned in cinnamon and sage; garlic roasted potatoes drizzled in olive oil, and a delicious side of shredded sweet and sour red cabbage. Dessert was coffee, assorted teas, a mouth-watering cookie biscuit scooped in fresh strawberries awashed in a sweetened balsamic vinaigrette and spritzed in lemon zest with dollop of vanilla ice cream. Toasting glassfuls of pinot grigio, we shared our writing stories and writing secrets. 

This was my third Highlights Foundation Unworkshop, entitled: Room to Create. So much of working final edits for A Gift of Love revolved around Highlights, Uncle Jack's Cabin, and Boyds Mills, it seemed right that I return and personally thank the special people who guided me the last leg of my writing journey.

Today I share photographs. And one writing tip: Don't be tossed aside. Under all circumstances. Write.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of 


P.S. Congratulations Lupita Nhyong'o for winning best actress in a supporting role for "12 Years a Slave," and Matthew McConaughey for winning best actor award for your role in the "Dallas Buyers Club." Soon as I get back to New York, I am off to the movie theater to see these movies. And please, call me. *thumping chest* I'd love to do your interview.


Snow-covered Uncle Jack's Cabin, Cabin #15

Highlights Wall of Hall of Fame

Writing Down the Bones of Story at a Table for One at Boyds Mills

The Table is Set
Master Chef Joseph Hard at Work

L-R, Me, Author and beloved editor of A Gift of Love, Clara Gillow Clark, and Jana Barberio



Linda Della Donna is author of A Gift of Love, available at bookseller stores throughout the country. Della Donna is a freelance writer and photographer who supports individuals going through the grief process.

No comments: