Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, March 21, 2014

Happy Friday, Widow Friends, House Hunting, and A Gift of Love



Shhhh, it's a secret

Today is Friday. Out the window of a favorite secret writing place where I sit and type, sunshine splashes the picture window framing two overstuffed leather chairs while a crowd from nearby offices order house specials--breaded chicken wrapped in gluten-free whole wheat pita, smoked roast beef with red peppers laced in golden cheese on a soft baguette, and in honor of Lent, pea soup. As added spring special, medium and large sizes of hot chocolate frozen thick as wet cement.

I spent the morning with PG, a widow friend of mine. We meetup at least once a month at the Eldorado Diner. I don't remember how long it's been since PG's husband died, but we met online through Griefcase and Linda's Place more than two years ago. It happened when I had minor surgery. I got online and said I have no one to drive me to the hospital. I said I have no friends since moving back to Westchester. I said I guess I will take a cab. PG messaged me saying I will take you. I will wait with you. I will take you home. We are friends ever since. 

I ordered a cup of coffee, no cream no sugar and a side of rye toast buttered with a smear of strawberry jam. PG ordered coffee and a corn muffin. We chatted for an hour and split the check. While waiting for PG to arrive, a woman seated at table next to mine called out saying are you Linda? It is forty-something years since I saw this woman. We went to high school together. She says I have been trying to get your book? Where can I get one? I say I just happen to have one.

I drove 287 east to White Plains. Though the calendar says it is spring, there is a nip in the air and I am chilled to the bone. I have been sick with a serious cold and tussle with recovery. I drive to my place and park Big Blue. Big Blue is my car. I dash inside and change into turtleneck sweater, leggings and boots promising never to do the spring outfit thing again without first sticking my arm out the bedroom window. I am tired of being sick.

There is a darling place in a distant space that I am admiring and think about moving to. Sipping my coffee, I ask PG what she thinks about this place. I just love my widow friends, we know what to say to one another. With widows, it is a comfort to be reminded that truly we are not alone and when it comes to needing a friend, we have only to reach out and touch one of us.

I have made friends at my secret writing place. It is a delight to walk in and hear words saying hello Linda from the many happy workers who serve me tea with lemon and honey in a mug big as a swimming pool and ask how do you feel? The place and the people who work here remind me of Cheers.

PG volunteers time with the fire department in Sleepy Hollow. She cooks and cleans. She marched in the Tarrytown St. Patty's Day Parade last Saturday and says Sunday, March 30, at the Senior Citizens Center down by the water we are having a Penny Social. She watches as I scribble directions and says Linda please come and do a booksigning. She says we will announce your name on the loudspeaker. She says we will tell everyone you are here. She says bring books. 

It is time for me to end this blog post. I have work to do. But before I go, I want you to know that I am remembering fondly my classmate, LE. Thank you, LE, for remembering me and for asking for an autograph. I am thinking about PG and thankful for her faithful friendship. I am so very grateful for PG. I am remembering all my widow friends, especially the ones at Linda's Place. I am grateful for my Facebook friends, offline friends and readers of BookOrBust, Griefcase.net and LIKErs of A Gift of Love. Please know that I am grateful.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of A Gift of Love


Widow Tip:

Grief is like a thumb print. No two alike. There is no right or wrong way to grieve or mourn the loss of your loved one. There is just your way.

Widow Quote:

Be kind to widows. We got friends in high places. --Linda Della Donna


Linda Della Donna is a writer, photographer and supports individuals going through the grief process. She wrote A Gift of Love to fulfill a promise. She invites you to LIKE her facebook fan page. Her goal is 1000 LIKES by April 1, 2014.


Have a great weekend!

No comments: