Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Back to the Future, and A Gift of Love



It is back to the future. It is October 2010. And I am living my dream--writing A Gift of Love and journaling my home.

Wishing everyone what I lovingly refer to as mourning joy, today I share a part of my journey. 

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of A Gift of Love


The Bathroom - Still Week 3

I live in my teeny tiny apartment while work continues on the bathroom.

The plumbing is in, walls are up, and tub is placed.

The picture above shows workers laying the tile.

It is a slow process.

Each tile is individually measured, must be individually cut, sometimes cut and recut twice in order to make it fit precisely.

The tile saw is set up outdoors in front of my apartment building. Worker #1 makes the measurement. Worker #1 is the installer. He measures twice, and tells Worker #2 the size to cut the tile. Worker #2 is the cutter. Worker #1 hands Worker #2 a tile with instructions which sides are to be cut and what size. It is a huge puzzle and each piece of tile must fit exactly.

Worker #2 takes the tile, goes out the apartment to the tile saw, he measures again, remeasures, and makes the cut.

Sometimes the cut is exact, sometimes not.

Sometimes that piece of tile must get a trim or a shave. Or, worse, it is unsatisfactory, and the process begins all over again with a new tile.

With the help of Worker #2, Worker #1 gets the job done.

The days grow long and hot. Three air conditioners hum loudly, while a skill saw yowls. Worker #1 must yell instructions to Worker #2 in order to be heard above the sound of the roaring saw.

There are different sized tiles for the floor, wall, shower walls, and ceiling. Each one requires a precise cut in order to make it fit.

The job must be done one tile at a time.

Secretly, I wonder, will this bathroom ever get done.

Renovating my bathroom is like writing my book.

Workers work meticulously and tirelessly, measuring, cutting, placing each tile, carefully, inserting each piece like a puzzle, until the entire room is covered. I observe their efforts, and marvel at how they get the job done.

When I apply the same concept to writing my book, before I know it, I am hard at work, one tile at a time, getting the job done.

Today's writing quote. Hope it inspires you to get a little writing done:

"It was dark. All she could see were occasional tall moving shadows which she realized were beasts walking about. She had been stripped of her clothes, and something warm and pungent was gently being rubbed into her body. She sighed and stretched and discovered that she could stretch. She could move again, she was no longer paralyzed, and her body was bathed in waves of warmth. Her father had not saved her; the beasts had." --Madeleine L'Engle

My Writing Tip:

Live in the moment. If you're writing your book, take it slow. Measure twice, cut once. Fit each piece like a puzzle in its proper place. Do it one tile at a time.

Now go get your fastest writing pen and write something.

Go ahead.

I dare you.

See you in print,

xxoo:)L

Linda Della Donna
If I can write a book,
So can you.

3 comments:

Homer Collins said...

Gosh I had no idea that tile fitting was such an intricate process, involving 2 workers! After this labour of love, I really hope your new bathroom looks amazing! I like the way you relate tile cutting to writing. Measure twice and cut once - that's a useful tip and as a writer I shall always remember it.

Homer Collins @ Pinnacle Renovations

Linda Della Donna said...

Hello Homer,
Thank you for stopping by Bookorbust.blogspot.com
And for your comment.
Wishing you every success.
Warmest regards,
Linda

Linda Della Donna said...

Hello Homer,
Thank you for stopping by Bookorbust.blogspot.com
And for your comment.
Wishing you every success.
Warmest regards,
Linda