Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Question of Success, Edward Sclier, and A Gift of Love

Do not walk ahead of me,
I may not follow;
Do not walk behind me,
I may not lead;
Just walk beside me,
and be my friend.
from A Gift of Love


My book, A Gift of Love, is published. After nine years living the promise to write Ed Sclier's story and let the whole world know just what He went through, my promise is fulfilled.

Recently, a reader purchased my book and wrote to ask, how does it feel to be a success?

I pondered the question. Seeing my book posed on a book seller's book shelf left me cold and numb. I know that I disappointed this reader when I wrote back, I feel nothing.

Today, I stood on Main Street in Armonk, NY, capturing reflections of my image in storefront windows.

It was after I had made a visit to the cemetery to visit my husband's grave.

The sky was cloudless. It was the color of turquoise.

I inhaled. I exhaled.

I thought about Ed and the happy memories we shared.

Seeing my book posed neatly on Ed's headstone brought tears to my eyes.

The air was crisp and clear. My eyes gazed left, and right. Everywhere I looked, I saw a blanket of luminous white the color of snow. It brightened my world. I was filled with feelings of what I lovingly refer to as mourning joy!

Today I share photographs I snapped at Ed's grave. It is said one photograph speaks a thousand words. Today I share three thousand words, words which repeat. Again. Again. And, again.

Success. Success. Success.


My promise is fulfilled.

This one's for Ed, first copy, first edition, first autograph.
More than seeing A Gift of Love posed neatly on a famous book seller's book shelf,
seeing it posed here filled me with what I lovingly refer to as mourning joy.

Dearest Ed.  Love is forever. See you in print. xxoo:)L


Linda Della Donna is a freelance writer and photographer. Her book, A Gift of Love, fulfills a promise to her late husband, Edward Louis Sclier. She makes her home in a small suburb of Westchester County, NY with her pretend kitty, Tux. A Gift of Love is available at Archway Publishers, division of Simon & Schuster.

2 comments:

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

This brought me to tears, sweet Linda. I'm looking forward to reading your book. May it be a blessing to millions of readers.

Linda Della Donna said...

Thank you, Martha. Thank you for being my friend.
Be well. Stay safe. Keep cute.
xxoo:)L