Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, January 10, 2014

Johnny Depp, Archway Publishing, Local Book Seller Store, and Me



Snow fell today. Snow melted today.

I saw it out my window as I sipped green tea with a splash of honey, listened to the distant sound of a train whistle as it passed through the North White Plains train station on its way to Grand Central, and toasted my new day. All I could think was I want to be outdoors so I can aim my face towards the sky and feel the cold flakes stick to my nose and eyelashes.

I received a phone call from Emma today. It was in between snow falling and snow melting. Emma is my concierge at Archway Publishing. Archway Publishing is my self-publisher for A Gift of Love.

Emma says hi Linda.

She says congratulations Linda.

She says your book, A Gift of Love, is in process of being printed Linda.

She says this process takes two to three weeks Linda.

She says are you there Linda?

I am here.

I am quiet.

I am deep in thought. My brain is flooded with a million things.

At this time I am thinking about all the good people in my life, the people that I have met these last ten years since burying my husband.

I am thinking about the many life's lessons I have learned, the different life's happiness I have found, and the hurt that made me strong stronger strongest.

I am grateful.

I am grateful I fulfilled my promise to Ed Sclier. Ed Sclier is my husband. Ten years ago on his deathbed,  May 1, 2014, I promised I would write my book, A Gift of Love.

I am grateful I scribbled in a spiral notebook all those times when my friends were dating, swimming, skiing, falling in love, falling out of love, hanging out with friends, partying, playing, and doing all the fun things people do in bunches.

I am grateful I stayed the course. I admit, the journey is a challenge.

I am grateful I didn't give up.

I am grateful for my writer friends. Author friends. Editor friends. Entrepreneur friends. Muses H and Z.  I am grateful for my reader. You. I am grateful for the visitors to this blog. They reflect more than 1,000 hits per month. I am grateful for my reader's time, comments and support. They validate me and boost me forward.

Drum roll please:

Emma says in less than one month, A Gift of Love will be in book stores.

Emma says A Gift of Love will be available at Amazon.

And, Emma says A Gift of Love will sit on a shelf in the public library in the town where I live.

As I sit in Barnes and Noble and type this blog post, I recall one skinny kid sitting in a 6th grade classroom dreaming to write a book. Me. And not saying it out loud.

I carried my dream inside me my entire life.

I was ashamed to share it. With anyone.

I was afraid if I told anyone about my dream they would laugh at me.

I was afraid someone would call me stupid.

I was I afraid I would fail.

One day, after winning a writing contest, after feeling good about the man I was married to, our love, and the fact that he was an avid reader, I was proud of that, I shared my dream with him saying someday I want to write a book and dedicate it to you.

I remember I whispered the words.

I was afraid someone would hear me speak my dream and that they would laugh at me. Or worse, I worried my husband might not understand.

I remember my husband's words.

Linda Please, you're trying something new. Don't be afraid. You have me. And I will always love you. 

Today as I sit in Barnes and Noble sipping a cup of green tea, counting down the days until A Gift of Love is sitting on a table in front of me, I can't help but feel tremendous pride and joy knowing I am loved.

Unconditionally.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of
A Gift of Love


P.S. Johnny Depp. Call me. We'll do lunch.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES, YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 Hope

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Linda! I can just imagine the smile on Ed's face as he beams with love for you. You kept a promise; fulfilled a dream; experienced growth in yourself that you thought you couldn't. I am so very proud to call you My Friend. Patti

laurie hammond said...

This is so beautifully written, and I know your book will be something to behold! I, for one, can't wait to read it!!!