Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, October 18, 2013

The Hero's Journey and A Gift of Love






There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before.--Willa Cather


My book, "A Gift of Love," is in final edit stage. It is hard to believe that after all the blood, sweat and tears in my life, I finally have a finished project--well, almost. For a long time, procrastination, believing another writer's negative opinion in my talent, grief and fear of failure, plus personal choice to just give up, a couple of times, kept me from working towards my goal.

At this time I am sitting with my editor's input about my manuscript. Looking over all the items marked, I feel overwhelmed and confused. But, when I take a deep breath, and a step back, as I have learned to do over the course of writing and living life since my husband's death, I am reminded that life is good, it is filled with joy, and that I am blessed with good health and loving grandchildren. I am grateful.

At this time, I have only to remember Joe Campbell's, The Hero With a Thousand Faces to realize that this editorial phase that I am going through is just another bump in the road or test as I journey from call to adventure, over the threshhold, and to my reward--fulfilling my promise to my late husband, and the publication of my book--"A Gift of Love" and realize that I can do this.

Recently, I read somewhere that computer crashes, personal illness, financial worries, death. and all the negative things that occur while working towards a specific goal has something to do with a writer avoiding success. Huh? Maybe. Maybe not.

I believe life places obstacles in our path for a reason--perhaps to test our passion.

I believe in goals.

I also realize that sometimes life gets in the way and we just got to take time to deal with it before getting back on our personal journey. These everyday occurrences, are the things that make for story. They add to our life's experience, and make us a unique individual.

All of these things help us to grow and evolve into the best we can be, teaching us valuable lessons about ourselves, each other, and the real world.

At this time, I am focused. I got my eye on the ball, er goal.

Time for me to get back to the task at hand--editing--A Gift of Love.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Come journal with me; your book is yet to be.

Today's Inspirational Quote:

"...Change is the essence of life. For everything we left behind, we have gained something new; for everything we have found along the way, we have had to let go of something else. And so it is that we ourselves have changed, and grown and come to a deeper appreciation of the transience of all things."--Katrina Kenison


Now go write something. Pick up your pen, set a timer for fifteen minutes and write.




No comments: