Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Archway Publishing and What Emma Says




"Emma says don't say book, say A Gift of Love." --something i tell myself every day.



Today is Wednesday, August 28, 2013. The sky is gray. And out the window where I sit typing in my secret work place today, I see raindrops pelting the sidewalk. I heard from Emma yesterday. Emma is my concierge at Archway Publishing. She is the virtual voice over my shoulder guiding A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir, through the publishing process. I am grateful for Emma.

Emma says my manuscript format is good and acceptable to Archway Publishing standards. Archway has strict guidelines saying work must be presented in Word .doc format only, with no additional spacing or indents other than double spacing and paragraph indents. In order for a manuscript to be acceptable, it must first meet the no-extra-code requirement. I type in code view all the time. This means I see all codes for spaces, paragraph breaks, centering, etc., and I know when there is a code that doesn't belong. Eliminating unnecessary codes saves an editor and the people on staff working with and for you from having to take time to remove them. In most instances, an email manuscript will be rejected on this basis alone, causing a writer to lose valuable time in getting her work to market.

Emma says A Gift of Love is format ready. She moved it along to the editorial staff to check it for libel and copyright issues. Turns out there is an issue with my manuscript. Emma says the editorial staff read my manuscript and says I must change two names to fiction. She says this is to protect Archway and me from possible lawsuit.

Emma says I must submit my submission application along with all photographs and materials pertaining to, A Gift of Love, with necessary requested changes to my manuscript for the next round in the submission process. This means I must complete, among other things, in 25 words or less, a hook to draw readers in to purchase my book; I must also include 12 keywords, and a list of my target audience.

There is more. A lot more.

But I am on deadline, Friday, August 30, 2013, and that is all I can share for now.

Because what Emma says, goes.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."


Writing Tip:

When working with an editor, don't go into reasons why you can't make a deadline. Everybody is busy. Including the editor. She isn't there to hold your hand, hear your confession, or commisserate with you.  Be professional at all times. And do your best.

Writing Quote:

"Writing a book is a horrible exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon who can neither resist nor understand." --George Orwell

5 comments:

Kathleen Moulton said...

Wow!

PS I loved getting a glimpse of your secret work place.

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

Hang in there, Linda, you're almost there! I'll be praying for you!

LindaDellaDonna said...

Hi Kathleen

Thank you for your kind comment and for stopping by BookOrBust. That photo dates back to the early days of writing A Gift of Love. I was getting settled in my little apartment, no space, and I papered the walls with my outline. I had no desk space, no floor space, only a door. It helped to look at it every day.
See you in print,
<3 Linda

LindaDellaDonna said...

*smile*

Judy S. Blackstock said...

Check mark for excellence!!! Way to go. What an education you have acquired.