Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, August 16, 2013

A Friday, Courage and Challenges

I love this photo of my late husband, Ed Sclier. It tells a thousand words,--time, date, temperature and it is the last happy birthday Ed celebrated with me. It was August 23, 2003.
December 31, 2003, Ed was diagnosed with esophageal cancer.
May 1, 2004, he was dead.
We had no idea. 

"Courage does not always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
"I will try again tomorrow."
--mary anne radmacher



Today is Friday, August 16, 2013.

One week from today will mark the day of my late husband's birth. Had Ed Sclier lived, he'd turn the milestone age of 74 years old on August 23rd. Had he lived, most likely, I'd be doing all the normal things most normal married women do in anticipation of their husband's special day,--perhaps checking last minute details for a surprise party, calling a bakery and ordering a lemon filled chiffon cake, tallying invitations, or simply making reservations for dinner for two at a favorite restaurant. I know I'd definitely be shopping for a special present for the man I love.

But, my husband, Ed, is dead, which means my life is forever changed now. And as every widow learns, when you bury a spouse, whatever normal was, well, her life is different now; It will never get better, because better would mean hearing the front door open, sound of His voice saying honey I'm home, what's for dinner, it's all been a terrible horrible giant mistake, and come close, I want a hug. So, I must plan a different gift for the man I love.

After nine sleepless years hearing Ed's words somebody should wrinkling my brain in response to my deathbed promise to him to write his story, I finally mustered the courage to put my work out here. My book is written and I'm in process of doing final edits.

Call me Cowardly Lion wearing my silly paper badge of courage, I'm finally publishing my story, and fulfilling my promise.

So, hey, it's Happy Birthday, Ed!, and BookOrBust! Because, get ready, it's ten more days and here I come!

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."



Writing Tip:

Don't discuss your writing with a non-writer. A non-writer won't understand. They will think you're crazy.

Writing Quote:

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."--Douglas Adams, "The Salmon of Doubt"

No comments: