Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Virginia is Not for Lovers Only -- Day 3


      It was a misty Monday morning. The air was thick. For as far as my mind's eye could see, the beach seemed to melt into a foggy horizon. Through a distant rising sun, soft sounds of hooves pounding sand and waves crashing to shore ushered into view a band of Salt Water Cowboys whooping, hollering and cracking whips the color of licorice. Guarding a parade of handsome stunted horses from gawking spectators, they rode single file, tight formation, cribbing 150 ponies to an ebbing tide. They rose as a clouded vision and before I knew it, they were upon me. Clapping hooves splashed sand. I cupped my camera. A pony broke rank. It ran toward me. The sounds of a hundred crackling whips, Salt Water Cowboys hollering get back, get back and the thunder of horses hooves pounding sand floods me.

I clicked, clicked, clicked.


Dear Reader,

For one reason or another, I did not post my daily trip to Virginia. Mea Culpa.

Today, I share photos which tell the magical moments I spent last week, Day 3, on Chincoteague Island in Virginia. I hope you enjoy viewing these photos as much as I enjoyed living them.


Waiting for Pony Run
Spectators line the sandy beach anxiously awaiting the Annual Chincoteague Pony Run.

Sunrise on Chincoteague Island
The sun rises, a signal that soon the ponies will run.

And then it happens.
Here come the ponies.

They are upon us. A clouded vision. I feel like I have stepped into a dream. There is no time to think.
There is only time to click my camera. Whatever feelings I am feeling must wait. I don't want to miss a beat.

And here they are. They are beautiful. They are spectacular. My hand is shaking. I can't stop. I just click, click, click.

It is a sight to behold and an item for bucket lists. I look to the heavens. I am grateful.

A pony breaks rank.

A Salt Water Cowboy races to corral him.
"Get back! Get Back!"
I disobey. I click, click, click.
I can't help myself. For some reason, for no reason, I am unafraid.

The Pony Run is done.
I sit on the beach. I am speechless. I am in awe at what I have just witnessed.

 






 Come back tomorrow. I got more to tell.


The outtakes:

Breaking Away
The Pony who almost got away.

Free Spirit
Wanting to be free, this pony took off in a blaze.
It was beautiful. I found myself rooting for the pony.



 

Writing Tip:

Push back from your computer screen. Shut down your spiral bound notebook. Turn off your internet connection.Take a walk. Take a hike. Make a drive. Find something, place or event to write about. Create your own book from your own real life experience. I can't think of a better way to locate your distinct individual voice and live life to its fullest.

Writing Quote:

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure." --Joseph Campbell


Now go write something.

I dare you.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."



Acknowledgment:

I wish to thank most sincerely my cousin, Karen Day, her daughter, Erika and husband Teri. Without their push and invitation I might never have had this awesome experience. I am grateful! Bless you all!


2 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

Glad you visited- you could have spent the night here!
But, those horses provide a magnificent show, Linda!

LindaDellaDonna said...

I just love an adoring following!
Next year. Maybe sooner. That's a promise.