Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, May 31, 2013

Show Me...



When a writer writes her/his story, best advice is show, don't tell.

Think about it.

What drives a mealy-mouthed message home saying go jump in a lake, I don't want to be bothered with you better than saying go jump in a lake, I don't want to be bothered with you?

Here's a few examples of what it is I am trying to say:


"Sorry, I haven't called. I've been busy."

--Though trite, and overused, depending on your storyline and your character's character, or lack thereof, it might work.

"It's me. It's not you."

--Remember Seinfeld episode where lowly George Costanza uses this line to dump a girlfriend?

I do.

It was hilarious.

And it got the message across saying George is a louse without saying he was. And, with humor.

Of course, there is the old standby we all know and use:

"I'll Call you."

--Every auditioning actor's worst nightmare; dating fool's, too. But when delivered by your paragon of virtue shapeshifter, your reader gets the he-is-or-he-isn't-so-nice-message loud as a foghorn. And your reader may even begin rooting for Underdog.

Well, there you go. Three separate examples. Can you think of one more?

Writing Quote:

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
--Anton Chekhov

See you in print,



Linda Della Donna
"...Come journal with me; your book is yet to be."

No comments: