Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Salvation Army Honors Linda Della Donna at Twenty Fifth Annual Community Service Awards Breakfast





This photo appears in The Salvation Army's 2012 Holiday Report pamphlet.
Photo compliments of The Salvation Army, Westchester, NY


"It's not about what's over the rainbow. It's more about the Yellow Brick Road, the people we meet, and the friends we make along the way."--from A Gift of Love, A Widows Memoir, by Linda Della Donna


Today, Thursday, March 21, 2013, at Crowne Plaza Hotel in White Plains, New York, The Salvation Army, White Plains, NY Corps, held its Twenty Fifth Annual Community Service Awards Breakfast and I was honored with a plaque commemorating my two days of service for ringing a bell and raising more than $1,500 for the poor.

Seems I set a record.

As I stepped up to the podium, I felt like Sally Fields when presented with her Oscar. All I could think was, "You like me. You really like me."

What can I say?--Except I am humbled--And, thank you.

Thank you to all friends, strangers, and nameless, faceless, anonymous passersby and children with loving parents who stopped by my red kettle those two bitter cold December Saturdays outside Walmart on North Broadway.

Thank you everyone and anyone for digging deep into your pockets for loose change--Every penny, nickel, dime and quarter helped set this record;

Thank you kind gentleman, loving mother, tiny tots and frienly teenagers for opening your wallets, unclipping your money clips, and giving all that paper money and coins--I am grateful;

Most especially, special thank you to Ed Sclier for motivating me to do this in your memory. I feel your spirit always.

Thank you EVERYONE for giving so generously, lovingly, and willingly, especially in these hard economic times, to aid the poor. Your sacrifice did not go unnoticed, or unappreciated.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

May each and every one of you know that this award means so very much to me for so many reasons. I will treasure it always. Thank you from the bottom of my broken mended heart.

I am grateful!

Please know, that this would never have happened without your generous act of lovingkindness.


Until this time next time,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."


My Special Award reads:
"The Salvation Army - White Plains
In Appreciation To
Linda Sclier
Bell Ringer Award"



The Salvation Army
Twenty Fifth Annual Community Service Awards
Program



The Salvation Army 2012 holiday Report



In the distance, The Salvation Army Jr. Songsters



Incumbent Westchester County Executive, Rob Astorino, Speaker

No comments: