Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Monday, February 18, 2013

Self-Publication, My Search Continues

I'm peddling fast as I can...


Today I sit in my secret writing place. *No, I won't divulge the location. Not this time. Because, it's a secret, silly. That's why.* I am polishing my manuscript, exploring and researching the many different self-publishing venues and educating myself in the benefits of each one. To my dismay, I have discovered, just like shopping for a new dress for a special event, hat for head, or tee-shirt, there is no such thing as One Size Fits All. Each author's needs for her book, is as different as a thumb print. And the decision is hers, and hers alone to make.

Today, BookOrBust is all about CreateSpace.com.

CreateSpace is an Amazon Company. For the author interested in getting her book to market *raising hand*, CreateSpace may be her answer.

The information at CreateSpace requires considerable time to review and process. I have spoken with a CreateSpace representative, and exchanged several emails discussing my book baby, "A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir" and the following are answers to a few of my questions:

For the price of $4,634, CreateSpace will sell me their "Total Design Freedom Marketing Pro" package. This comprehensive publishing solution by Amazon promises my book, A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir, can go to market, "in style".

This sum will also entitle me, the author, and I imagine, any other author willing to fork over big bucks, the following:


  • Multiple rounds of copyediting, custom book design including a "Signature book Cover," and an assortment of effective marketing tools.


A Signature Book Cover at Create Space is valued at $749.00 and includes the following:

  • Up to ten hours of design time from a professional graphic designer
  • Varied images, textures, fonts and background colors designed into a cohesive customized cover
  • A consultation and regular interaction with a CreateSpace design team
  • Placement of back cover text, author photo, and barcode
  • Cover formatting and sizing for a book's specific trim size. They provide sample photos.

In addition, CreateSpace promises to showcase my book through various online communities in a Video Book Trailer.

The cost for a Video Book Trailer is:

  • Standard - $1,199.00
  • Premium - $2,199.00

CreateSpace claims through this media, my book will reach a new audience of readers, and:

  • Hook readers across a network of video-sharing communities with a movie trailer-style preview.
  • Give me the ability to add it to a website, share with family, friends, and reach potential purchasers.
  • Includes distribution on Amazon.com, YouTube and others.

Writing Quotes:

"An educated consumer, is our best customer."--Sy Syms

"Why do writers write? Because it isn't there."--Thomas Berger

"I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy than a success at something I hate."--George Burns


4 comments:

Lisa D.B. Taylor said...

So what do you think of Create Space packages? I've just "published" a book through them and am awaiting the volume to arrive so I can proof it. I went the free/cheap route. Gotta admit I did a double take at the prices you quoted above (obviously I didn't bother to look at them on Amazon's site). I'm interested to know what you decide and how it goes. Good luck! ;-)

LindaDellaDonna said...

Hello Lisa D.B. Taylor,

Thank you for stopping by BookOrBust and for your comment. It is an incredible journey, as you well know. I will keep you posted. Actually, I am just as curious about your decision, as well. Thanks again, and best of luck to you, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I know three authors that have used different "self publishing" companies. If you'd like the company info just let me know. All the authors were happy with their results. HG

LindaDellaDonna said...

Absolutely. Feel free to post the names here. I'll be sure to look into them. Thank you for stopping by BookOrBust and leaving your comment.