Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, January 3, 2013

It's all about love...




It is early morning. Outside my home the sky is the color of coal and a January wind ruffles a curtain on an open window. Last evening I spent time in a rehearsal hall listening to an orchestra playing Mendelsohn, Beethoven and Copland. As the conductor guided soft playing violins and cued syncopated slide trombones, thoughts of a woman who wrote to me confessing she had just ended a relationship with an unavailable available man, describing the entire experience as "unrequited" love, having a "friend" she always knew she never had and her hungry request for quotes, something to help soothe her, circled my brain.

Today, my pen is resting, as is my concussed brain. But, for the woman reaching out to me, I dedicate today's quotations. Quotations can be healing, as well as revealing.

I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I have enjoyed researching, collecting and sharing them.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna



"There is flattery in friendship."--William Shakespeare

"I was nauseous and tingly all over. I was either in love or I had smallpox."--Woody Allen

"I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had."--from the t.v. series The Wonder Years.

"In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing."--Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

"Because sometimes there is no easy way out. You just have to grin and bear it. Sometimes the only escape route is to go straight through the flames, just brace yourself and bite your lip. Sometimes you have to sever the ties clean off. Because in every relationship there comes a point when the damage is too much and no matter how good it once was, the memories can't sustain you. You have to save yourself knowing all the while it will hurt like hell. Because you can't keep giving someone everything if you get nothing in return."--The Young Poet

"If they don't love you, it's not because you've done anything wrong. Some people aren't very good at loving."--MarkTyrell

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love.To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down."--Woody Allen

"An archeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her."--Agatha Christie

2 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

Since you listened to Copeland (among my favorite composers), how about this from Love Affair...
n a flash a heart is slain.
You have to ask in all this pain
Was your heart too soft?
Was your love in vain?

LindaDellaDonna said...

Hello, again, to my favorite reader. Thank you for stopping by and for your thoughtful wisdom. Actually, I am auditing the orchestra for a seat in the horn section, and the music was Copland's "The Little Horses, Lullaby." I understand your fondness. As for the "Love Affair" quotation, if it were my personal response to the man I buried, the answer is a resounding no, no.

xo:)L