Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Monday, October 22, 2012

Character Development in Writing and Food For Thought


The novel I am reading, "How to Talk to a Widower," by Jonathan Tropper

Today I am thinking about a novel I am writing. I have never written a novel. But, I made an outline, and I wrote a few chapters. I got my characters down, too. I know these characters well, or so I think I do. But, every so often, as will often happen in writing fiction, something occurs in the telling of the story that alters a character's personality.

How about that?, I think. I made a shapeshifter.

And then I am back to the drawing board. Er, notebook. Writing a new next draft. I keep thinking if I keep writing and rewriting this same character, putting this little character in the same crazy scene, this wonderful blessed character, the one I created in the chasms of my mind, will behave in a different way.

But, it doesn't happen. No matter how hard I write.

And so it goes.

Redraft, after redraft, after redraft.


Until I realize finally, like real people, in real life, that it is time for me to give up, and let go of the idea that the character will shiftshape back.

It is difficult at best. Perhaps painful and heartbreaking at worst, but necessary for the writing of the story.

Let's face it, just like real life, people change.




What about you dear writer? How do you resolve issues in your characters when they misbehave? Every writer has one. I'd love to know. And while you are at it, have you ever given up on a character?

Which brings  me to Today's food for thought:

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Einstein


Writing Tip: Know your characters well, before you start writing. It will save time and wasted energy getting your story down. And don't be afraid to go back and begin again if you don't get it right; to redo, recreate, or make a change in your work. It is called editing.

Just saying.

Until this time next time, see you in print,

Linda Della Donna


No comments: