Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

National Writing Practice Day

Today is National Writing Practice Day.
 
Not really. But now that I got your attention, I have something to say.
 
Often I have trouble putting words on paper. 
 
I backspace.
 
I delete.
 
Hate backspace.
 
Hate delete.
 
When this occurs, I realize it is my Internal Editor at play. My remedy? Writing practice. Through writing practice I am able to catch the little you-know-what and corral him. By giving him his ten, maybe fifteen minutes to speak his crazy mind, he loses momentum, tires himself out, making it easy to catch him, gag and bind him and placing him securely where he belongs 
 
In honor of National Writing Practice Day, today I sit in a public library, and do just that: Writing Practice. 
 
Outside where I sit are puddled streets, gray sky and pouring rain. Inside, enveloped in the warmth of books on shelves in rows as far as my mind's eye can see, this writer writes the worst c**p in the Universe. And so she does. She has permission.
 
It's a beautiful thing.
 
What about you? How do you rope in your monkey mind?
 
Writing Tip:
 
Set a clock timer for fifteen minutes and unleash your internal editor. Do it once a day, once week, once a  month. As often as is necessary, until the bugger gives up. Give the little guy voice. When time is up, catch him, gag and bind him, and place him in his quiet space. Then, get back to the task at hand -- Getting a little writing done.
 
Writing Quote:
 
“I am burdened with what the Buddhists call the monkey mind. The thoughts that swing from limb to limb, stopping only to scratch themselves, spit and howl. My mind swings wildly through time, touching on dozens of ideas a minute, unharnessed and undisciplined. You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.” -- Elizabeth Gilbert


 

2 comments:

sandra tyler said...

I guess I let my monkey mind loose -- I just start writing until I get one nugget worth pursuing. Howver long that takes. Hopefully not too long:)

LindaDellaDonna said...

Thank you Sandra Tyler for stopping by and contributing how you leash your little guy. :)