Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, August 30, 2012

It's Thoughtful Thursday!












Today is Thoughtful Thursday. Thoughtful Thursday is my day to sit and think. Right now I'm sitting here thinking what the heck do I post at BookOrBust.

Hmmmm.

The Republican Convention is going on. But I am not political. Besides, those thoughts are private. Nobody knows what side of the political fence I stand. It's my secret. Come seven-year locusts, plague, famine, or world war, no matter what happens, I intend to keep it that way. So nix that political blog post think thing.

Recently, I saw an old acquaintance, someone I hadn't seen in a long long time. I could write about that. But already I forgot that person's name; what that person looked like. Heck, I barely caught a glimpse. And what, if anything, could I possibly write about that event that could possibly be of interest to a reader. So I won't and I will -- forget about what I already forgot about.

By the way, yesterday I got a call from an editor of a children's magazine. She says her magazine maybe *operative word, maybe* interested in my non-fiction article, the one I submitted one week ago. She says if I am willing to submit rewrites she can maybe push my work into Phase 2, for possible acceptance. Hmmm, maybe I will write about that.

Thinking is hard for me. Kind of like squeezing a grape and expecting diamonds to drop out. But come to think of it, when I really put on my thinking cap and think hard, what comes to my mind is a list of favorite quotations on favorite topics, like posting quotations on common sense and using good common sense when thinking about politics and selecting a person for high office; good common sense when meeting up with a stranger and remembering to forget why you stopped seeing that person; and using good common sense when pondering edits on a manuscript.

In honor of the above, and none of the above, on this Thoughtful Thursday, I offer a few of my favorite quotations all about common sense.

I hope they motivate and inspire you.

I hope they give you cause to pause and think deep thoughts.

I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I have enjoyed posting them:


"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it."
--George Carlin

"Things do not change. We change."--Henry David Thoreau

“People are in one of two states in a relationship. The first is what I call positive sentiment override, where positive emotion overrides irritability. It’s like a buffer. Their spouse will do something bad, and they’ll say, ‘Oh, he’s just in a crummy mood.’ Or they can be in negative sentiment override, so that even a relatively neutral thing that a partner says gets perceived as negative.”--Malcolm Gladwell, from his book, "Blink."

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."--An old boyfriend

"Common sense is calculation applied to life."--Henri Frederic Amiel


"Common sense is seeing things as they are, and doing things as they should be done."
--Unknown

"Common sense is not so common."--Voltaire



That's it. That's all she wrote. I think.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Founder/Director
Griefcase


Photo submitted by Anonymous






3 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

I've always been partial to Voltaire...

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

Your post came at a most interesting juncture as I've been thinking, thinking, thinking about what I'll write for my Tuesday post (Friday's is ready to go!). :) Loved the quotes, too! I think the one you've attributed to a former boyfriend was penned by Albert Einstein. You might want to check?
Blessings for a long Labor Day weekend, Linda!

LindaDellaDonna said...

Thank you for stopping by BookOrBust to read today's post. That was most thoughtful. lol

Voltaire is a favorite of mine. As for Einstein being the author that quote, I'll bet he was. I did a google search as in who said...? but it came up unknown. Thank you, Martha, for helping set the record straight.