Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for X



...As in "X" marks the spot.

Writing Tip:

Writing first thoughts makes for fast thinking. Sometimes the pen cannot keep up with our brain. We get to a word, line, name of person, place, or thing, and suddenly that word, line, name of person, place, or thing eludes us. Mysteriously it disappeared out our head. We stop writing, and wonder what was that name? Where was that place? Who said what? And when? Heck, it happens. Best advice? Do not linger wishing and hoping words needed will reappear. Instead, mark that questionable spot in your writing with an X or XX or XXX. And keep writing. Marking that spot with X alerts your brain to go back after you have completed that shitty first draft to fill in the blank.

Writing Quote:


"The worst mistake you can make is to let an author's spouse or partner create the jacket. In my opinion, spouses or partners shouldn't be allowed to do anything for the book, just as surgeons are not allowed to operate on their loved ones."--Betsy Lerner, from her book, "An Editor's Advice to Writers, The Forest for the Trees."

Until this time next time.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Freelance Writer

Della Donna is a freelance writer. While her book awaits publication, feel free to contact her for a list of writing services.







2 comments:

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

Yes, Linda, I agree - when you get "stopped" in the middle of the thought, just keep going. As you say, it will come back, more than likely, and this way you don't lose the flow of writing.
I must admit, I never use pen and paper unless I'm away from my computer and taking notes. I always write my blogs in Word and then transfer to the website.
Also, the quote? Hmm. May apply to some, but, since my husband is graphically gifted, I'm going to let him help. :)
Blessings to you!

LindaDellaDonna said...

Hello Martha,

Thanks for writing. Thanks for leaving a comment.

Now for a new Writing Tip: There are exceptions for every rule.

I just love your style!

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna