Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Organize

photo compliments of keiiun

For many years I worked as a secretary at the New York Power Authority. One job I worked for 26 engineers. Imagine.

I remember coworkers begging to know how did I juggle all these men and their daily requests? 

Well, after fibbing that I kept a whip in my bottom desk drawer, my answer was one word: Organize

Writing Tip:

Develop good work habits. Keep a tidy desk. Make a home for pens, pencils, scissors, and letter openers. Keep important files for daily use, i.e., templates, basic forms pertaining to your business, calendar, daily marketing plan, work schedule, etc., in folders within easy reach.

Writing Quote:

"Writing and reading decrease our sense of isolation. They deepen and widen and expand our sense of life: they feed the soul."--Anne Lamott, from her book, "Some Instructions on Writing and Life."


Until this time next time.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna



Della Donna is a freelance writer. Feel free to opt-in at Griefcase for a copy of her free ebook, "Treasury of Quotations," and monthly newsletter.

5 comments:

Lauren S. said...

Thanks for the reminder! Organization is very important. :)

Alison Miller said...

I like these tips and quotes! Thanks!

Hopping through with A-Z. Nice to meet you!

Cerebrations.biz said...

Oh, Linda, I heard there was a secretary with a whip in her desk. I had no idea that was you!

nutschell said...

I do love organizing!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Happy A-Zing!

Eric W. Trant said...

Lord, I'm one of those pesky engineers! Yes, I can imagine, and I am kind and gentle to our admins. I heard a guy yesterday making a doctor's appointment while he was sitting in the break room.

First, in broken Mandarish (that's Mandarin-English) he asked for several very specific dates and times. They were not available, so he asked for other very specific times. They were not available, either, so he settled for a 9:15 appointment instead of the optimal 9:00, on one of his requested days.

He hung up. He drank a little of the hot tea he had made. Then he called back and cancelled the appointment. That time just wouldn't work -- he needed a 9:00AM appointment and would have to find a more suitable doctor's office.

I try not to be one of those guys.

Still, when I tell the mechanic or doctor or plumber or anyone else I am an engineer, I get the requisite shudder, and the italicized Imagine!


- Eric