Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Gratitude and What I'm Grateful For

 
I am grateful for my grand children, H and Z. And I am grateful for the memory of E. 
They are proof love is a many splendored thing.
 
I am grateful for writing coach, Suzanne Lieurance; lit-er-a-ture. Books. 
When I am ready to give up, they help to keep my hand moving. And,I am so grateful for that.
 
I am grateful for writer friends, Faye Levow, Susan Berg, Taryn Simpson, Terri Forehand, Donna McDine, and Taos Writing buddies, JB, LP, NM, JB, SD and LK. 
The list is endless. 
It grows daily. 
These are just a few. 
 
I am grateful for recent acts of lovingkindness from JSB, Texas Tom, LP, NM, and New Hampshire writer, JB. Can't forget high school friend, HNC (how did you ever find me?). 
Thank you for cell phone calls and knocks on door. You lifted my spirits when I needed it most. 
I am grateful for that.

I am grateful for freelance assignments, rejection letters, and books to read. 
They prove I try and and want to learn.
 
I am grateful for air I breathe, healthy heart, and limber body. 
It means I got time to write another book.
 
I am grateful for lots of things. 
But most sincerely, dearest reader, I am grateful for you.  
Through you I learn patience, diligence, and discipline to place butt in chair and keep writing. You are my candle in the writing wind.
 
 
What I'm Grateful For
 
H and Z




Writing Tip:

"Close your eyes and get quiet for a minute, until the chatter starts up. Then isolate one of the voices and imagine the person speaking as a mouse. Pick it up by the tail and drop it into a mason jar. Then isolate another voice, pick it up by the tail, drop it in the jar. And so on. Drop in any high-maintenance parental units, drop in any contractors, lawyers, colleagues, children, anyone who is whining in your head. Then put the lid on, and watch all these mouse people clawing at the glass, jabbering away, trying to make you feel like shit because you won't do what they want--won't give them more money, won't be more successful won't see the more often. Then imagine that there is a volume-control button on the bottle. Turn it all the way up for a minute, and listen to the stream of angry, neglected, guilt-mongering voices. Then turn it all the way down and watch the frantic mice lunge at the glass, trying to get to you. Leave it down, and get back to your shitty first draft."--Anne Lamott, from her book, "Some Instructions on Writing and Life."
 
Writing Quote:
 
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."--The Wizard
 
 
Until this time next time.
 
See you in print,
 
Linda Della Donna
 
 

4 comments:

sue berg said...

Thanks for the thanks :-)

I knew I knew that quote but couldn't place it. Anne has some good advice in Bird by Bird and Word by Word.

Anonymous said...

Linda,
If I my afflict myself with the conceit that JSB c'est moi, then thank you for your kind words.
JSB

Word Crafter said...

Linda,
Great Post we forget so easily how much we have to be grateful for -- I gives me pause to think of all those wonderful things. Thanks for your post.
Billie

Jocelyn Rish said...

What a lovely post. I think we all need to remember to take time to be grateful for the blessings in our life. It's so easy to take them for granted and focus on what we don't have. So thank you for the reminder to count my blessings.

Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
Jocelyn