Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Buddy Up - How to Get a Little Writing Done




"If an ordinary person is silent, it may be a tactical maneuver. If a writer is silent, he is lying."--Jaroslav Seifert


Writing requires tremendous dedication and self-discipline. Sometimes it requires someone to hold your hand through the process.

There is nothing to be ashamed of if that is you.

My recommendation is mount the challenge and get yourself a writing buddy.

You know, that other writer person wanting to write a book and in need of being held accountable and who knows what it is a writer goes through having to stay focused and remain motivated.

Thanks to modern technology, you do not have to live in the same city, or town.

Best of all, you do not even have to write at the same time.

Here are my tips to help you as you Buddy Up and write like the wind!

o Your writing buddy must be motivated. This individual is dedicated to staying on target and wants sincerely to assist you to do that, too. Save family and fun things to talk about for another time.

o Make a plan. Write it out start of each week. Send a copy to your writing buddy. Be open to suggestions. And if your buddy's plan has too much on it for their upcoming week, tell them. Support their desire to work hard, but not to over do it. If their plan seems weak, encourage them to add to it. Be specific. Look for holes in marketing, getting new work, reading, sending out a press release, and making time to blog.

o Create a check-in time, mid-week is good. Report progress by email or telephone call. Lend encouragement, help to motivate and support each other.

o Set a once a time to write together, separately of course. Then keep the appointment and email each other what it is you worked on.

o make a work schedule and stick to it. Some days I must hide the cell phone and put a sign on my door that I am not at home in order to get my work done. Other times I simply pack up and cart my writing stuff to a distant location, someplace where I can sit anonymously to better concentrate on my work.

Setting a regular schedule, and creating a writing buddy to hold you accountable is, as Martha Stewart says, a good thing.

So what are you waiting for?

Go write something.

I dare you.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna

3 comments:

Debra said...

Yes Linda, this is great advice, and it’s a plan that really works. I have an accountability partner who lives in a different state. We’ve never even met, but are co-writing a book. We’ve talked on the phone a number of times, come up with a game plan and set goals, i.e., to each write three stories per week.

Leah Griffith said...

A writing buddy...good idea. I'm trying to figure out a schedule for myself between, networking/marketing, blogging, writing my second novel, and launching the first one. I'm quite scattered but I'm hoping to find my rhythm...perhaps a buddy might help.

I feel a little more charged. Thanks for the pep talk and the good advice. Now get writing!!

J. R. Nova said...

I'm serving as a writing buddy for my friend who procrastinates. She's got a story inside her but needs the motivation to get it out. A little encouragement goes a long way :)