Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Know Your Audience






Got fast writing pen?

Great.

Got paper, notebook, computer, laptop? Don't forget clock timer, your cell phone will do.

Super.

Got place to sit and write?

Cozy cafe', secluded retreat in Taos, cheap motel room with no view are a few suggestions, but even a hall closet reserved for your writing stuff will do just fine. So long as you can sit uninterrupted to do your writing thing, you're in business.

But...

When writing, be it blog entry, book chapter, free ezine article, or even an obscure marketing survey aimed at discovering the health benefits of kiwi, kale or Kellogg's K, be certain to remember who it is you are writing for.

As Telly Sevalas's character, Kojak, might say, who's your audience, baby?

Remember that. Then, aim for the bulls eye.

Most days, I write for widows. I am a widow. I know what it is like to go through the grief process, and come out the other side. When I sit down to write a blog entry for Griefcase, I gear my words to women and men who just buried a loved one. 

When I write a blog entry for BookOrBust, I must switch gears. I know the hard work involved in writing a book and the discipline, research, focus, time and expense it takes to do that job.


Hopefully, I hit the mark.

So, what are you waiting for?

Get out that pen, plug in that laptop, recharge your cellphone battery, and write something.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Linda Della Donna
Author of "A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir"
Griefcase

Writing Tip:

Join an online writing group in your genre'. If you write children's books, join a children's writers' group. And don't just lurk. Join in the conversation. Ask questions. Offer a response when you believe you know the answer. Be courteous. Be polite. Be helpful. And, always remember to respect the rules of your online group.

Writing Quote:

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 comments:

Bec Owen said...

Great tip, Linda. I was only thinking about the audience of my blog just before reading this! I love those moments of synchronicity! I might even start looking for a writer's group to join now.

Thanks for the great info :)

Just Another Thought Online said...

How do you find a writer's group? The only one's I've been able to find are on Facebook, but they aren't specific to my genre.

Griefcase said...

Dear JustAnother Thought Online:

Finding a writers group takes creative thinking. I suggest you Google words, i.e., Writers Groups. You can add your city to that search request. Go to Yahoo. Yahoo has writers groups. Go to Meetup.com and do a search for writers in your zip code. The internet is a great tool to locate a group online. Feel free to create your own writers group. Post a note on a wall at your library bulletin board, supermarket, college. You can post on your facebook page. Never attend a workshop and seminar without leaving with at least 10 names of fellow attendees. Make contacts, network. Write and ask a question anywhere and everywhere, just like you just did me. Get back to me and let me know how you did. Hope this helps. Look forward to hearing back.

Linda Della Donna
Author of "A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir"