Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Inspirational Quotes - For Writers Only



Today is Thursday. This writer contemplates her day--lunch with a friend, appointment with a professional, read 100 pages of latest book, "How to be Single," by Liz Tuccillo and write. Time to get started on a second book.

The following is a collection of writing quotes:


"First sentences are doors to worlds."--Ursula K. Le Guin

"Writing is the supreme solace."--Somerset Maugham

"What a heavy oar the pen is, and what a strong current ideas are to row in!"--D. H. Lawrence

"When the past is recaptured by the imagination, breath is put back into life."--Marguerite Duras

"Language is an instrument for the pursuit and control of meanings."--I. A. Richards

"The only end of writing is to enable the reader better to enjoy life, or better to endure it."--Samuel Johnson

"In every man's writings, the character of the writer must lie recorded."--Thomas Carlyle

"A serious writer is not to be confused with a solemn writr. A serious writer may be a hawk or a buzzard or evwen a popinjay, but a solemn writer is always a bloody  owl."--Ernest Hemingway

"I think of a writer as a river: you reflect what passes before you."--Natalia Ginzburg

"To write well is to think well, to feel well, and to render well; it is to possess at once an intellect, soul, and taste."--George Louis Buffon

"The only happy author in this world is he who is below the care of reputation."--Washington Irving


So what are you waiting for?

Go write something.

I dare you.


See you in print,

Linda Della Donna

6 comments:

Adnama said...

Like- I am going to copy these and put them in my One Note folder to inspire me.

Jessica M said...

This was a very inspirational post! I loved the quotes..my two favorite were by George Louis Buffon and Washington Irving.

David said...

Some great quotes you have chosen to post!! I must keep them in mind as pen is put to paper :)

Larry Lewis said...

Some really inspiring quotes. But i have a question. My instrument is a keyboard, so can i be a writer, or should i just except that i am a blogger.

ravenmyth said...

My favourite is "First Sentences are Doors to Worlds" I have always loved the spoken and written word...they are the "Songs of Inspiration"...a journey into the creations of others...thank you for sharing these wonderful quotes...

Andy:InspireWeb said...

I am really inspired.I feel like i have found the real me after reading your quotes.Thank you for sharing.