Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy Friday



"There is nothing happier than a writer not writing."--John Updike


My book is finished.

Yes, I plan another book.

Ideas swirl and swoop my brain.


We'll see.

A lot has happened since I typed the final chapter of  A Gift of Love, A Widow's Memoir; since I closed the last quote, dotted the last i, and crossed the last t.

I did a road trip to upstate New York and skied a mountain. I  hadn't skied in more than 15 years. But I did it and it felt good to start on the bunny slope and finish on the diamond.

I did a writer's retreat. I needed a break from my writing, and the website I founded.

I drove more than 275 miles to get to a destination that was 118 miles from my home. I got terribly horribly miserably lost. But, I kept my cool and eventually found my way.


Now my first book is written, and I am told by a higher authority, someone I respect and admire, to put my book away. Higher Authority says forget about the book, because you got no platform.

Higher Authority says you are pathetic and should JUMP off a ledge.

Higher Authority says you didn't do what you were supposed to do when you were told to do it.

Higher Authority says no agent will represent you because you got no name.

So here I sit. I figure I got three choices:

a) Self-publish
b) Seek agent to represent my work in a traditional publishing house, or
c) Do nothing.

I choose "b."

If I can ski a diamond slope after all these years, and find a way to Stockbridge, MA by way of Boston, I got the stick-to-it-ness to land me an agent.

Look out, Higher Power, here I come!


Writing Tip:

"Focus on your writing, on what you love. You must be invested in and passionate about your subject. Otherwise, you will not be able to convey enthusiasm to an agent, publisher, or reader."--Laura Cross

Writing Quote:

See Writing Tip above.

Now go write something.

I dare you.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Founder, Director
Griefcase.net *where the other blog is*

2 comments:

Suzanne Lieurance said...

Good for you for choosing "B."

Go for it!

Christine said...

I drive through Stockbridge, MA every single day! I live a mere 15 minutes away! Next time you are in the area, let me know! We will do lunch!!! xxooxx Christine