Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chillemi Shoe Repair - It's White Plains Wednesday!

"Jane Crofut, the Crofut farm, Grover's Corners, New Hampshire, United States of America, continent of North Ameica, the Western Hemisphere, the world, the solar system, the universe, the mind of God."--Thornton Wilder's Our Town character, Rebecca Gibbs



Welcome to White Plains, New York, latitude 41° 2' 2" N, longitude 73° 45' 47" W.

Today is what I lovingly refer to as, White Plains Wednesday!

It is the day I troll the avenues and byways of my neighborhood for news to share. Like Thornton Wilder's, Our Town, depicting all people are connected through humanity, so it is in this busy metropolis I am fortunate to make my home.

Today I am stopping by Chillemi Shoe Repair at 200 Hamilton Avenue. For long as I can remember, I've been visiting the White Plains Mall and dropping off my shoes for new lifts, half-soles, a top stitch here, or some glue there. Every time, I'm sent out the door walking straighter, more silent than when I first walked through the door.

The place is a  landmark institution. Come July 6, 2011, Chillemi Shoe Repair will be in business in White Plains 62 years and 35 years at this location.

Peter Chillemi and son, Paul, work side by side. Paul loves what he does and his passion shows in excellent workmanship perfected under the loving and guiding eyes of his beloved dad, Peter. He says he started working repairing shoes at 11 years old. Peter says he used to kick him out of the store, because he didn't want his son to become a shoemaker.

"But now," referring to having his son working by his side in his later years, Peter says, "Thank God." 

Chillemi Shoe Repair, White Plains Mall, 200 Hamilton Avenue
Mon-Fri 8 am - 6 pm
Sat 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
914-761-1141

Paul with Dad, Peter, "For those who appreciate craftsmanship."
Thanks Paul and Peter for fixing my shoes. Thanks for being my friend. Thanks for the interview.



Writing Tip:

Be a good neighbor. Spread the word. Tell everyone you know about the good people in your life.

Writing Quote:

See above.

That's all for today, folks.

See you  in print,

Linda Della Donna
Founder/Director
www.Griefcase.net

No comments: