Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday and All Those Cats

three little kittens...

"In the house, there were three chairs--a huge barcalounger for Papa Cat (who liked to watch fishing while taking a cat nap), a medium sized swivel chair for Mama Cat (who liked to unravel sweaters and play with the yarn), and a tiny rocking chair for Baby Cat (who liked to pretend she was a cat on the high seas, rocking back and forth)."
--Leigh Anne Jasheway

Today is Friday, day after Thanksgiving, better known as Black Friday. Hate that name. It's a day for shopping for holiday gifts and clean up the kitchen after yesterday's mess. Today I visited my local B&N and bought myself a present. Something to fill my senses. Something to bring me comfort and joy throughout the day, weeks and rest of this year. It is reward for all my writing hard work and more writing hard work ahead.

Now to the quote above. I have no idea why I chose that quote. But, I did.

Maybe it's because I like cats. I have a cat.

Maybe it's because it talks about furniture and I like furniture. Anyway,the quote is from Leigh Anne Jasheway's book, "Bedtime Stories For Dogs'" and to me it's a picture perfect string of words--I see the kitties, I see the barcalounger and swivel chairs. I see the ball of yarn and a tiny rocking chair.

What about you? What is it you see?

Writing Tip:

Hook your audience. Use descriptive words, strong verbs. Invite your audience to see what it is your mind's eye sees.

Writing Quote:


"Writing is the hardest way of earning a living with the possible exception of wrestling alligators."
--Olin Miller

Now go write something. Yes. You heard me. Just do it. I dare you.

See you in print,


Linda Della Donna
If I can write a book, so can you.

No comments: