Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Kerry Kennedy, Back to the Future, Be the Turtle, and A Gift of Love




Dear Reader,

My book, A Gift of Love, is written. I am grateful for your positive and glowing reviews. 

Thank you. 

Today I sit at a table in a secret writing place. *yes, it will remain a secret* Outside, through a wall-sized window, I see blue sky. A tall mug the color of celery rests alongside my open laptop. 

And my fingers race a Samsung keyboard.

At this time I work a marketing schedule. For today, tomorrow and maybe a few days after that, due to work constraints, BookOrBust is back to the future, sharing reworked blog posts from a different time.

I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Author of 
A Gift of Love

P.S. Note to Kerry Kennedy: Call me. I want to interview you. Please? 
It was the worst of times;
it was the best of times.
It was October 12, 2010:



My Teeny Tiny Office



Writing a book is a journey.

My writing journey has not been an easy one.

For a long time I felt blocked. Every time I picked up a pen to write something, even a grocery list, I stopped, because I worried I might hurt someone's feelings. I wrote "TP" for Toilet Paper.

I worried my writing is crap. I backspaced, deleted, crossed out.

I worried I would write a bad book. I wondered, Who will read this thing?

I was afraid that if I shared my work that I would look stupid.

Renovating my new apartment has not been easy. It is a journey, also.

My apartment is tiny and it sits in an aging complex in a noisy city. Old plumbing, loud boiler, paper-thin walls, and ugliest door frames I ever saw are my home now. When I first moved in, I didn't think I could live here. I hated it. Well, hate is a strong word, but it's the only one I can think of.

My first thought was to run out the door and find a different place to live. I figured living in my Corolla would be better than living here.

But, when I sat down and did the math, considered my budget, economic times, and a few other things, I looked around my three rooms, all 740 sq. ft., and began to see life in a different light. I took a step back. I inhaled, exhaled, and decided to make it work. Just like writing my book.

I created a dream. I am a writer. I decided, while writing my book, I would journal my apartment journey, also.

I picked up my fastest writing pen, opened what I lovingly refer to as my Joy-nal, and walked each room, drawing sketches and making copious notes.

Put a hole in the wall here, I wrote.

Cut a hole in the wall thereGut the bathroom, I scribbled.

For weeks, I didn't have a bathroom. I washed my face and brushed my teeth in the kitchen sink, relied on kindness of family for a place to shower, and I used the lavatory in a community laundry room four buildings away to pee. At long last, my bathroom was done. And so were Chapters 7 and 8 of A Gift of Love.

Like the writing of my book and the reconstucting of my humble abode, I learned working at what seemed turtle pace, everything gets done. Eventually

Today's writing quote and writing tip:

Don't waste energy. Just shutup and write.


1 comment:

Widow_Lady302 said...

I think 90% of any artform is endurance. That is why you go to starbucks and jiffy lube and if you talk to those people you'll find at least one that calls themselves a writer, painter, poet, musician...they aren't though, they work at other places doing other things...they don't have the endurance to really BE what they want. Endure Linda...ENDURE