Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Do It!

"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. --Henry Ellis


Writing my book is a slow process. That's been my hardest lesson. I'm not a quick study. I confess, I am not fast on my feet. It takes tremendous effort and hard work on my part to work towards completing a goal. I want instant gratification. I want to sit in Baskin-Robbins and eat a chocolate sprinkled coffee ice cream cone.

Renovations on my apartment are coming along. At snail's pace. Sometimes I think I just can't stand living with the mess one more day. I want a magic wand, magic lamp, and handsome male genie to make it happen NOW! But, then I remember--like writing my book--renovating my apartment is a process. And good things come to those who wait.

The following is a picture of that hole in the wall workers made two weeks ago. It has been sanded, taped, resanded, retaped, and re-resanded. Again. And again. Yesterday that hole in the wall received two coats of paint.



This next picture is of John. John is painting my living room. Today, as I type, John is painting the ceiling.



This next picture is a snapshot of a wall with nothing on it. It is raw, ripped, and really a mess. It is the wall where my office will be located. I call this picture a "rough draft." Two weeks from now, I will post a different photo. Cabinets are on order to fill the space. In the meantime, workers work taping, sanding, painting, and making my apartment a better place and prepare for the next phase. They don't sit back and think how am I going to get this huge job done. They don't complain. They roll up their sleeves. They get the job done. They do it. They just do it.




Today I return to the task of writing my book. Inspired by hard working young men intent on getting a job done, I pick up my pen and remind myself to get the job done.

Writing Tip:

Don't think. Don't look at writing a book as one huge project. Break it into small bites. Think pages. Think one chapter. Then write. Do it. Just do it. One page, one chapter, at a time.

Writing Quote:

"It's not the size of the mountain...but the strength of the mountain mover."--From a Greeting Card


Now go write something. Do it. Just do it.

Go ahead. I dare you.


Linda Della Donna
If I can write a book, so can you.

No comments: