Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Friday, October 29, 2010

Writing Down the Bathroom - Week 2

It is the second week of renovating the bathroom. It is a hot humid July day.

Outside, the temperature is 98 degrees. Inside my teeny tiny apartment, thermometer says 68 degrees. I'm still coughing, but I'm growing stronger with each new day and thanks to good doctors and strong antibiotics, my health is improving.

Three air conditioners in three separate windows in three different rooms chug non-stop for hardworking workmen measuring, cutting, and hammering to make my dream bathroom happen.

Workmen must travel out the apartment door, through a hallway, to the main entrance door, over a slate porch, down three steps to the lawn where the tile saw is set up to make their pre-measured cuts. They make a reverse trip when they are finished, while other workers cart slabs of green sheet rock. Despite cool temperatures inside the apartment, outside temperatures are 95 degrees. These workmen's shirts are saturated with perspiration.

A plumber arrives, and an electrician. There are five men in the bathroom working to make my dream come true. There is discussion, more measuring, cutting, and sweating. It is week two of my bathroom renovations and the work continues on turtle feet. The inside of my apartment and everything in it is covered in a blanket of dust the color of snow, a result of knocking down plaster walls, taping, plastering, and sanding new walls until they are soft as a baby's rear.

While work progresses on my bathroom, I do not have a place to pee. I cannot take a shower. I must brush my teeth in my kitchen sink. When I need to make use of a bathroom, I must leave my apartment, and walk past a parking lot to a laundry room three buildings away.

Here's my quote for today. Hope it gets your fingers moving to get a little writing done.

"Like what you do. Do what you like." --Off a pink coffee mug

And for the lovely widow writer lady who asked for a quote on editing, this one's for you:

"No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft." --H. G. Wells


My writing tip for today:

Take a walk. Take a long slow walk. Breathe in, breathe out. Feel your feet touch the earth and the wind kiss your cheeks. Look up, look down, gaze side to side.

When you return, list ten things you discovered on your walk. Pick one, set a time for ten minutes, and write something. Go ahead. I dare you.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
Come journal with me,
Your book is yet to be.

1 comment:

Widow_Lady302 said...

It seems to quack like a duck too, my dear...

LOVE the editing quote, you ARE a Goddess my dear!

I don't blame you for double bolting the door, you are a hottie and that guy sounds pervie!

*muah* Repeat after me...I LINDA AM A GODDESS!