Pages

A Gift of Love Fan Page

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Day 52 - Thou shalt not compare


There is an 11th commandment. Or, there should be. For writers, anyway.

Today I didn't write. I did other things. Other things consist of cleaning the oven, sweeping the kitchen floor, catching up on laundry, doing all the things I put aside during the week to get a little writing done.

I used to feel guilty when I didn't write for a day, week, month--year. Not any more. I've learned to schedule my writing time--one hour Monday, three hours Thursday and Friday. You get the picture.

One best thing I learned not to do either. And that is to compare myself to another writer. Writing is like the grief process--different as a thumb print--different for every writer. I'm no longer upset that all my friends have their books written, published, and are sitting prettily autographing their treasured publication. I applaud their success! Heartily!

Because, I believe truly with all my heart, my time will come.

There oughta be an 11th commandment: Thou shalt not compare!

No comments: